Hospital Auxiliary Awards Annual Scholarships
One of the most important projects the Crawford County Memorial Hospital Auxiliary sponsors is the Auxiliary Scholarship Program.
This spring the Auxiliary awarded $1000 scholarships to six individuals who are furthering their education in a medically-related field and granted scholarships in the amount of $1500 to two individuals who have completed at least a year of post graduate courses geared toward to medical degree. The scholarship committee studied applications and conducted interviews with applicants who are residents of Crawford County or who graduated or would be graduating from a high school in Crawford County. Decisions regarding the recipients were based upon financial need, academic standing, outside activities, interest in the health profession, and the applicants' interview.
If a recipient of this year's scholarship maintains a 3.0 grade point average in postgraduate studies, he or she will be eligible to receive funds, upon application, for one additional year during their course of study in their chosen medical field.
The recipients of the 2013-2014 Crawford County Memorial Hospital Auxiliary Scholarships are as follows:
- Megan Ehlers, 2013 graduate of Ar-We-Va Community High School, daughter of Doug and Allison Ehlers, attending Iowa Western College, Council Bluffs, Iowa, to become a physical therapy assistant.
- Sara Hansen, 2013 graduate of Boyer Valley High School, daughter of Martin and Penni Hansen, attending York College, York, Nebraska, to study nursing.
- Shelby Hawn, 2013 graduate of Denison-Schleswig High School, daughter of Mark and Kelly Hawn, attending Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa, to major in nursing.
- Zachary Johnson, 2013 graduate of Denison-Schleswig High School, son of Roger and Dana Johnson, attending Augustana College, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, to study anesthesiology.
- Cara Kraus, 2013 graduate of Ar-We-Va Community High School, daughter of Timothy and Deborah Kraus, attending Northwestern College, Orange City, Iowa, to study nursing.
- Alyson Mooney, 2013 graduate of Denison-Schleswig High School, daughter of Patrick Mooney, attending South Dakota State University, Brookings, South Dakota, a degree in nursing.
- Taylor Nelson, 2011 graduate of Boyer Valley High School, daughter of Rick and Hollie Nelson, and a student at Grand View College, Des Moines, Iowa, in the nursing program.
- Carl Reitz, 2011 graduate of Denison-Schleswig High School, son of Reed and Grail Reitz, and a student at the University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa, pursuing a degree in dentistry.